Smokin' Hot Jerk Chicken Recipe
Get your favorite chopping knife, bamboo cutting board, and blender. Here is the best jerk chicken sauce- trini style with authentic Jamaican Jerk flavor!
Ingredients (makes enough seasoning sauce for 2 lbs of jerk chicken)
|5||Scotch Bonnet Pepper (whole)|
|1/4 cup||Allspice (whole)|
|1/2 cup||Soy Sauce|
|1/4 cup||Brown Sugar|
|3 tbsp||Kosher Salt|
|1 tsp||Black Pepper, Cayenne Pepper, Paprika|
- The longer you let the sauce sit, the spicier it will be! Use immediately for a milder spicy flavor, let sit at least 4 hours for extra spice.
- Using a personal blender cuts prep time in half.
Jerk Chicken Sauce Preparation:
1. Combine peppers, scallions, ginger, garlic, thyme, allspice, nutmeg, brown sugar, soy sauce, lime zest and juice, olive oil, 2 teaspoons black pepper, and 1 tablespoon kosher salt in the work bowl of a food processor or the jar of a blender. Blend into a puree.
Aromatic with a punch, your sauce is now ready to marinate the chicken! There are many ways to make jerk, on the grill, in a pot or slow cooked, but all require marinating the meat. 30 minutes is enough but if you have the time and want an extra KICK of spice I recommend marinating 4-12 hours.
2. Using a deep baking dish, mixing bowl or large plastic bag coat chicken thoroughly by tossing the meat in the sauce.
3. Cover meat or close bag and store in the fridge for 30 minutes if you want a soft by spicy flavor or store between 4 and 12 hours for extra heat.
For this recipe I will focus on the slow cooker method since it's my personal favorite!
Directions for cooking jerk chicken in a slow cooker:
1. Empty entire bag contents into the slow cooker and cook on low for about 3 hours.
2. After at least 3 hours, observe chicken for doneness and place on a single baking dish adding a little bit of the jerk sauce for moisture.
3. Cover chicken and broil at 500 degrees for about 3-4 minutes. Observe this part carefully as it is very easy to overcook with the broil setting!
- Tags: fried chicken
- Redmond usa